Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Europe

Tristan has a friend whose mother is Croatian. They invited us to tour some cities in Europe with them. Conveniently stimulus checks and tax rebates arrived about that time. Is it even a decision?
Here is the condensed version of our vacation...I hope you like pictures. :)


We happened to arrive during the Eurocup, Europe's soccer version of the Superbowl. The only difference is the WHOLE country celebrates. I'm wearing a Croatia bandana...how supportive am I?!

Overlooking Zagrab, Croatia. This is just after we arrived...such a LONG flight.

This is how they tow cars in Europe because the roads are to thin to do it as we do in America. Everyone calls it the spider. I guess you can't tell what is really going on...they wrapped chains around the tires adn picked the car up from the side to lift it on the bed of the truck.



In Vienna we saw everything from the homes of Mozart, Beethoven and Strauss, to masterpieces of Monet, Rembrandt and Van Gogh. This picture above was in a museum that housed actual mummies. Tristan is next to a sarcophagus. There were also actual statues from Rome, etc. The items in these buildings are so neat that you often forget to look at the building that houses them which are in themselves amazing.
One thing I'll never forget about Vienna was the ice cream.....SO good.


This is Schonbrun Palace. I'm sure I just slaughtered the name, but it is HUGE!! The picture below shows the palace from the other side and the gardens and land around. Yes, hidden in the trees is a zoo...and tropical gardens, etc. etc.
In the background at the very right you see a tall cathedral. It is Stephansplatz. The tower is 445 ft. tall!!! When you stand next to it, it is dizzying.


Venice is just as beautiful as I ever imagined. Some surprises were that sitting was not allowed unless you were at a cafe...and you had to order something to sit there. Just to get money out of tourists...speaking of tourists...there were SO many here. It wasn't as quaint as I'd thought....too many people...and pigeons. Only walking on the island...no bikes or cars...mostly because they couldn't fit down some of the streets that were no more than 20 inches wide. The gondolas were awesome! We didn't go on one, but spent alot of time on the bridges watching them going on underneath. 


We stayed in Maribor, Slovenia and used it as a hub as we travelled from city to city.


Here is the Parliament building on the Pest side of Budapest. Below is a crown used by the kings for centuries. It is over 1000 years old. Next to it is the King's orb, scepter and sword.


We had a chance to see Hungarian dancers in their cultural clothes. They danced traditional dances and sang traditional tunes, which I didn't care for. They sounded so sad...like a sad chant, but the rest was neat.


This is Loseijn, a city on an island just off Croatia. I took a picture of the trail we had to walk (hike) to get to the beach. It reminded me of all the fairy tales I had ever read or heard that took place near the woods.
Anyways, the whole island was rocky....you can see that in the picture of the beach. Everywhere were rock walls. People had to clear land for buildings and homes so they built walls and more walls. Having no sand made the water SO clear...you could easily see over 40 feet deep in the water.
We had to be careful with the pictures we took because on Europen beaches, clothing is optional.

We ended our trip here. We had so much fun but made a lot of realizations that really let us know how blessed we are to live in America and to have the gospel. The world is such a neat place...we both love learning about the history of cultures and to actually see the works of those we've always read about in books. We actually saw originals...and truly old buildings of the kind that are non-existent in America. In the end, there's no place like home.




11 comments:

Within These Walls said...

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Fun to see all the pictures! We just made our blog private and I don't have your e-mail to send you an invite. E-mail me at nbamn0625@gmail.com and I will send you an invite!

Abs said...

How cool is that! Lucky. Beautiful pictures.

Courtney said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! I've only been to England, so I am way jealous of all the places you have been to. I'm surprised you didn't drag Tristan to Ireland and Scotland to see all the castles.

Perry's said...

I am glad you guys are back. I was starting to wonder what happend to you guys

Perry's said...

if you want to be added to my blog. email me at chelsie_m@hotmail.com and i will add you on. this is blairs wife

Anonymous said...

i am so jealous. did you bring me a gift? i mean after all we are family. and don't family memebers get gifts? lol. just kidding. kinda. lol. it looks like you had a great trip. welcome home

NYCmom said...

Nice photoshop work Tricia! I like how you acted really excited in front of the green screen. So where have you REALLY been for the last 6 weeks??

NYCJD said...

What an amazing trip! Would you mind repeating it in a few years when Jen and I can go with you? I'd love to see more pics and here stories.

Jennie and Dalin Nelson said...

i'm so jealous of you!! those are the coolest pics ever!!! i miss you!! it looks like you guys are having a great married life:)

Loft-in-Paradise said...

Yeah, your back (and we're not YET). I'm so glad you made it safely with only a little wallet mishap! Tell me how they got a wallet from the biggest guy in Croatia!? Glad to see you had a great time!!!

j. and a. jerman said...

Wow! What a way to celebrate finishing the first year of dental school....after our first year of dental school we went to Universal Studios and Magic Mountain...Still fun though. Your trip sounds amazing! ~Amber Jerman